It’s a fresh, new year, which means many people are just beginning to embark on their New Year’s resolution quests. While every individual may have their own personal goals, J&J Exterminating encourages all homeowners to make a shared commitment to diligent pest proofing throughout the year.
Many people may think that pest proofing is only necessary in the warmer weather, when pests like mosquitoes and ticks are out, but that’s simply not the case. Different hazardous pests rear their heads in every season, and its up to homeowners to prepare their homes with avid pest proofing ahead of every season’s change to protect both their properties and health.”
To kick off the year, J&J Exterminating recommends following the below tips:
- Store holiday decorations properly: Boxes of décor can be great nesting spots for pests, so be sure to seal up all decorations in tight, impenetrable containers until next year.
- Maintain a clean kitchen: Pests are enticed by food sources, so regularly wiping down the kitchen and ensuring all food is stored in sealed containers is crucial to avoid drawing pests’ attention to the home.
- Seal any gaps: Many pests can fit through small cracks or crevices in the home, making it important to use sealing materials like caulk to close off any entry points.
- Store firewood properly: Woodpiles can be an attractive home to many pests and should therefore be stored at least 20 feet away from the home and thoroughly examined before bringing indoors.
- Be mindful of the home’s exterior: Remove any nearby debris or leaves that could serve as shelter for pests or create a source of standing water for pests to quench their thirst.
- Partner with a pest control professional for proper, ongoing maintenance.