Winter is a prime time for moisture problems to become established. Ice dams, clogged gutters and wear and tear on the home from wet, blustery conditions can create vulnerabilities in the home that can draw pests in.
To help homeowners protect against a winter pest invasion, J&J Exterminating recommends the following prevention tips from the NPMA:
- Look for missing roof shingles, ripped window screens and clogged gutters, all of which are entry points for pests.
- Seal cracks and holes including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around basement foundations and windows.
- Keep basements, attics and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Vacuum around doors and windows. Frequent vacuuming can catch invaders like spiders, silverfish, earwigs and beetles.
- Inspect garages and outbuildings for rodents or signs of a rodent infestation. Organize cluttered debris, boxes and random items along the walls where mice may hide or nest.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and brush it off before bringing it indoors.