Temperatures are rising throughout the country, welcoming in the start of spring, but for Louisiana residents another annual season is about to begin: termite season. Every year, Crowley residents dread the months of May through June when termites swarm across the state. Armed with the correct information – and professional pest exterminators in Crowley, LA – you can prepare yourself to fight a termite infestation in your home.
What Kind of Termites Swarm?
In Louisiana, the Formosan termites are the most common during swarming season. Formosan subterranean termites do damage to homes year round, and then announce their presence during swarming season when the reproductive types leave the nest in search of mates.
Why Do Termites Swarm?
Termite swarms indicate mating season for these insects. Many termites are wingless, but the alates – the reproductive version – has wings and flies out of the nest in search for a mate to start a new nest with.
When Do Termites Swarm?
The ideal setting for termite swarms is when temperatures are around 80 degrees, there is humidity in the air, and low wind speeds. Termite swarms generally start in the beginning of May and last through June.
How Do Termite Swarms Affect You?
Besides being an overall unsettling sight, termite swarms can also indicate that your home has already been overcome by termites. There is a strong termite population in Louisiana, and termites are very likely to turn your home into their new nest.
Termite Prevention Tips
• Reduce moisture around your home. Repair leaky faucets and water pipes.
• Make sure you have a functioning gutter system that guides water away from your home.
• Inspect the foundation of your home for mud tubes.
• Check your exterior wooden structures for noticeable damage or changes.
• Store firewood at least 20 feet away.
• Monitor termite activity by placing wooden stakes in the ground about a foot away from your home.
• Contact pest exterminators in Crowley, LA to monitor termite activity.
• Consider scheduling an annual inspection with termite exterminators in Crowley, Louisiana.
By monitoring the activity of termites around your home, you can effectively stop the pest infestation before it gets out of control. Termites cannot be controlled with home remedies or DIY methods. It’s important to contact a professional termite exterminator to develop the correct course of action. If you notice termite activity near your home, contact J&J Exterminating to set up a treatment plan to get rid of them.